Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Bratwurst


We were at costco and saw they had a triple pack of Johnsonville Bratwurst for $9.99 a deal we could not pass up! We decdided to invite Dan, Sena and his parents Don and Pam over for dinner sunday night. If you remember from an earlier post they are all from Milwaukee. What am I thinking cooking brat's for people from Milwaukee? That is like me inviting Bobby Flay over for a nice southwestern meal! I am pretty confident in my cooking so I was not worried.



Dan did his on the BBQ then in a crock pot. Basically they are browned low and slow on the BBQ for 15-20 minutes. Then he puts them in the crockpot with 2 beers, 1 oninon choppped, 1 jar sauerkraut and some brown sugar. They then simmer in there for 1.5-2 hours.


I did mine on the grill the same way (low and slow for 10-15 minutes), While this was being done I had a covered aluminium pan on the BBQ with 2 beers, 2 onion's chopped and 5-6 2 inch pieces of thyme for good measure! Was not sure what the thyme would do but figured what the hell! After they were browned I put them in the pan an covered with aluminum foil, turned half the grill off and let them simmer over in-direct heat for 1.5-2 hours.

They both ended up having a great taste. Dan's tasted a little different then mine due to the sauerkraut and the brown sugar. I like the taste of mine due to the hint of thyme in my onions. Overall they were bothe really good. I would eat either anytime!

5 comments:

Jim said...

I'm interested in what the experts - Don and Pam - had to say! Did they think they were up to Milwaukee's standards?

Meandering Eats said...

Wow! Great changes to the blog... it looks fantastic. So do the brats!

Sharon said...

It's a little bit like Throwdown with Bobby Flay! Both sound delicious. Brats will always remind me of football season...only a few more months to wait!

The John said...

Was like a mini throwdown! Good comparison Sharon. I think it came out to pretty much a tie. The parents seemed to enjoy both! I liked mine a little better since I am not a sauerkraut fan!

La Bella Cooks said...

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. This bratwurst looks absolutely mouthwatering and I am looking forward to reading more on your posts.



Bridgett