Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Steak au Poivre with Sauteed Fresh Corn








Erin and I were sitting around last night going from the fridge to the cupboard and back again. Had we lost something? Were we bored? Were we hungry? I would have to go with the latter of the 3. We are saving for a vacation in September(Hawaii!) so we have cut back on our gourmet shopping trips! So here what we did!



I had a frozen Rib Eye in the freezer. I decided to make a peppered steak or as the French would say, "Steak au Poivre". My dad had made this for Erin and I once and it was very good. He used the Julia Child book "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" If you love to cook I think this book is a must for the kitchen! I just used my mortar to crack about 1/4 cup of fresh pepper. I also mixed in 2 -3 pinches of salt. I then lightly coated the steak with olive oil and then rubbed on the pepper mixture. I let the steak rest for 10-15 minutes before placing it in a med-hi well seasoned cast iron skillet and 3-4 minutes per side. I feel the cast iron is the only way to cook a steak on the stove. We finished in a 400 degree oven for about 7-8 minutes and let rest for another 10 minutes under aluminium foil, this gave us a medium rare steak.
















We also had 4 ears of corn sitting in the fridge and decided to remove it from the cob and do something with it. We just used a sharp knife and placed the flat end of the corn on a plate and cut down to remove the kernels. Remember you do not want to go to deep! I learned a great tip via Food Network, which is after you remove kernels take the back of your knife a vigorously rub against the cob. What this will do is get any left over juices or pieces of kernel. It looks like a thick paste. We just mixed it in with the corn when we cooked. We sauteed the corn in a pan with butter, some fresh zucchini from our garden, cut up cherry tomato and onion. It had a wonderful taste and accompanied the meat well!




PS: Sorry about the picture quality! Have been taking pics. on the cell phone. Things will get better as I learn how to blog!































1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds yummy John. Looking forward to hearing more about your great cooking.