Tuesday, June 24, 2008

$1.00 Taco Tuesday



Tonight we decided to have Erin stop by Rubio's for $1 taco Tuesday. For those of you who have not been to SOCAL Rubio's has the best fish tacos around. For those of you not familiar with Rubio's you can read about it here http://www.rubios.com/about.html Along with the tacos I decided to make a basamati rice. I was shooting for a Mexican style but was not sure how to do it. I used a standard recipe which my dad had given us. I adjusted it for that Mexican taste!






1/4 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1-1/3 cup Basmati Rice
2 cups chicken broth
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tomato (diced)
1 small green bell pepper diced
1 small zucchini diced
pinch of red pepper flakes
salt to taste

Heat olive oil in pan and add onion, saute for 3-4 minutes then add garlic and saute another 2-3 minutes. Add the the rice and saute until lightly brown 3-4 minutes, then add the chicken broth. Cover and let simmer for 12-15 minutes or until rice is just tender. I time a lot of this based on taste. I have never had my cooking times down perfect so keep an eye on what you are doing. When the rice is just tender I added the tomato paste, tomato, bell pepper and zucchini. I then turned off the heat and let sit for another 5 minutes. Before serving I added the red pepper flakes and salted to taste



The vegetables were all fresh from our garden! I will post more about that later!


ENJOY!




1 comment:

Jim said...

Great twist on our Basmati pilaf recipe. I am going to try this in the very near future!